View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM
looking for mastiff

sounds like the breeder has a brood bitch she wants to retire. This was one of the things I looked at when I was searching for a mastiff. I had an opportunity to take a retired bitch and my girlfriend who used to breed dogs gave me a list of things to find out.

First - is the dog housebroken? Some kennels rotate their breeding stock so that every dog has a chance to be a housedog for a while. If the breeder does that, then the dog is used to being in the house. But you need to ask.

Second - is the dog really being retired? At some time in the future is the breeder going to want another litter from this bitch? If the dog is really being retired, who is paying for the spay? Will the breeder do it to make sure its done or will she hand over the dog with a promise from you to spay it? If the breeder doesn't want you to spay her because she might want to breed her again, then you have a responsibility to make sure she doesn't escape during her heats. If she wants another litter, are you really the owner or is the dog just "boarding" with you on a long term basis?

Third: - has the dog had any obedience training at all? Will she walk on a leash? Has she ever been in a car?

I was concerned because I didn't know how well a dog would transition from being in a kennel with other dogs to being in a house with just people. But my girlfriend said that most retired bitches are love sponges -- they are so happy to be an only dog and the centre of attention that they adapt very quickly to being a companion.

Finally, cost. Most breeders will want to charge you some sort of adoption fee -- and if they are paying for the spaying of the animal, they should be able to recover some or all of those costs. However! The breeder ought to have as her first priority finding a good home for a dog who has provided her with a couple of litters and who has made some money for her. So, the adoption fee should not be as much as you would pay for a puppy or young adult of the same breed.