Thread: Mild joint pain
View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
Today in Pet Planet I saw these drops and pills that are for the relief of joint pain which made me wonder if they're good or what would be good or perhaps a natural remedy ?
Glucosamine can help some cats with arthritis. I like Cosequin or Dasuquin (only available from a vet or online). Adequan injections are another option. Aztec is on both and they seem to help. The Adequan injections can be expensive but if you learn how to do them yourself at home, it will cut down on the cost considerably (as long as the vet is willing to sell you a vial).

Other natural remedies are MSM, green lipped muscle, cetyl myristoleate, hyaluronic acid, and omega3 EFAs.

Providing heated cat beds and pet stairs for easy access to beds and sofas is a good idea.

I take Aztec for acupuncture and osteopathy treatments on occasion and I'd say these have probably had the biggest impact. There's also laser and infrared treatments and pulsed light therapy.

http://www.facekitty.com/2009/04/art...istic-tre.html

So ya, there's lots that can be done. Some of it will be trial and error to find what works best for the individual kitty. And if pain becomes crippling, perhaps a narcotic pain med like Buprenex might be needed.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler