View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Learning fast

Well it WAS going fine, don't worry we haven't fallen off the wagon, infact we are going to be riding that particular train real hard. She went in for spaying today (she wasn't at the rescue long enough to get her done, I didn't want to lose her by hanging around, so we told them we would get her done straight away, and as we already got Riley from them they trusted us) turns out some point in the past she was already done, our vet even called another vet to check for scars as she couldn't see anything asn we wondered if she had already been done. So she's recovering at the vets overnight :sad: I also had a concern about her gait, she looked like an arthritic old woman but I thought maybe it was because I was used to Rileys gangly movents. So she has hip displaysia (?sp), it's grade 2 whatever that means, so time to step up the glucosimine, omega's and vit E. She was loving the pork (it's what we had most of) and was using those loverly teeth before today, we got her to tackle a small riblet. She's almost as fast as Riley except Riley has more practice at attacking the boney stuff. I want her on one protein for a week before I add anything else in, but I;m not going to try to bulk her up to much, I'm going to try and keep her on the leaner side to help the hips they offered to try and feed her in the morning with medical, I told them not to bother even if it was free as I don't want to upset her stomach to much, I actually made sure they doccumented that I did not want her fed in the morning (I'm going to be there when they open to pick her up anyhow). She ate well the couple of days prior to her op so I'm not worried if she goes hungry for 1 day, she's not a pup and has probably had to endure much worse as a stray, and she has a fine piece of NZ lamb for her return (I thought I'd see once and for all if it was the lamb that set Riley off, I have pumpkin on standby so were good to go, only she will get the lions share this time.
I've got a lot of other things I want to try, stayner meat packers do a dog mix thats lungs, trachea, spleen, tripe, mixed togehter (Pork and beef, not shredded) and cut into blocks, it's $20 for 18kg and he also has chicken backs with necks attached for $15 for 18kg so I'm thinking that's at least a months feeding with the additional pork I got at 69c /lb. He has Beef hearts at $1 /lb going down when a bigger order is placed. So I'm thinking I'm pretty set, what with the herrings and trout ($1 /lb) and sardines should last quite a while, I, like you need to reduce the volume in the freezer before any more sale items can be squeezed in. I have probably a little to much organ meat as my neighbour keeps giving me stuff, along with tounges and tails, he is totally organic so I can't refuse, his meat always tastes so good. He will also be getting me tripe and lungs next time around. I don't think Missy will object to this type of therapy, and yesterday after polishing off dinner, she was looking around for more

Last edited by x.l.r.8; January 29th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.