View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I free feed my boy and have done so with all but one of my dogs. I own a Mastiff deep chested dog prone to bloat. I put out my dogs daily amount of food which I might add he very rarely finishes. I have found it usually takes a couple of weeks for them to get used to free feeding. I also have Bud's food and water raised after I believe it helps to cut down on bloat. I had one Mastiff bloat on me and I never want to go through that again. He did not have raised dishes which I switched to immediately after that and have not had any problems. I find they help with the digestion too they do not get as much air in there stomachs. I would monitor your dogs weight and the amount of food. If he eats all the food do not put more out he will learn to monitor what he eats. Bud literally only eats when he wants and because of his eating habits if he ever does finish a bowl I do give him more but that is very seldom and you will find as the dog adjusts to it they tend to eat less as opposed to gobbling down the food you put in front of them at dinner time. Eating fast. is one contributing factor in bloat. Dogs prone to bloat should eat at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour before exercise and minimal water when they come back in from playing and exercise give small amount of room temperature water and just a little, water contributes to bloat. No food for an hour after strenuous exercise. I hope this helps. I think free feeding works well just monitor it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog