View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Hello and Welcome. Most of those dog breeds you mention will not jog very far...... What about a terrier of some sort? Very high energy but fun. A cat is definately easier to have, but remember they can be hard on your furniture if they are scratchers. Adopting is a fabulous idea too. Most good shelters can recommend a dog for your lifestyle. Good luck in your findings.
I found a list of terriers, and one by one I researched them on
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com
I found that most of them had longer fur, so would that mean more shedding and excess grooming and brushing? I hate to admit it, but I am on a budget, so I can handle "shedding seasons" and brushing weekly, but I can't afford excessive grooming bills.

In their breed descriptions, it seem that most of them fit the bill for the general behaviour types I was looking for, friendly around lots of people, active and playful. I have, eliminated, so to say, my first list, and am now quite interested in terriers.

I actually have a list of the ones I seemed particularly interested in, but I have a major question here:
Is there a health difference in the dogs from breeders and from shelters? If I chose to get one from a breeder, I'm worried about the dog being overly inbred, resulting in health issues.

Also, could someone please give me an approximate price for adopting a dog from the shelter and from a breeder?

I have one final question: When you go into a shelter (I've never been in one before) can you tell a person there what breed you're looking for, or are they all mixed-breed? And will the person there tell you what to do when you take your puppy home??