View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Swift Tribe

the best person to judge whether your bettas enjoy the filter or not. if they have a hard time finding a resting place or are getting blown all over the place, take it out. all of my betta tanks have filters. ive never HAD a fluval 1 but i have a link below that should help with explaining why a filter is important for reasons other than yuck collecting.

a betta can only die from a filter if they can not rest or eat.

if you plan on keeping them in the same tank, keep up with the water changes. they SAY the hormones are stressful to each other. ive kept a male and a few females with dividers but never two males.

did you say you had a heater?? im feeling a little brain dead and cant remember...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebI...estcycling.htm

this page explains the small part of the nitrogen cycle that is in an aquarium and how that applies to tank maintenance, feeding and those values i had to bring back.

pH of 6.0 is great. dont ever try to change it. it MAY be lower than 6.0 because there arent any test kits that test lower but bettas appreciate lower pH.

what those values SHOULD be are ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-below 20ppm (manage those through water changes!)

keep up with the water changes, if you can get the water tested once a week. it should take a month from the time that you first changed the tank over to the new one before the initial cycle completes itself. at that point you shoudl see no ammonia or nitrites but your nitrates should start building.

ok, im off to bed. my brain has finally quit on me. keep us posted on how your betta is doing!! how does his eye look??? sorry it took me so long to get back. i can view posts with my Wii but its *very* difficult to type with a WiiMote.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)