View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Geek Club CEO

I wouldn't worry too much about your neice. It has been my experience that children readily accept the change or "difference" in my little tripod. For young children, when they ask what happened, I usually say "Jaida had a leg that was very sick and was hurting her, so the doctor helped make her feel better by taking the sick leg away. But she's fine now, and still likes to run and play." Most kids accept that without question, and then go around telling anyone who will listen "Jaida has only THREE legs!!!" I say talk about it freely and answer their questions. They will take their cue from you...if it's no big deal for you, it won't be a big deal for them either.

Now, while I wouldn't hesitate to have a little one say hello to your pup after the surgery, I would do it only if the little one can be calm and quiet and gentle, and also if the incision is covered up with a bandage or tshirt. The incision can be shocking, even for adults (it's a BIG boo-boo!).

By the way, she's a cutie-patootie!!

She's about the same size Jaida was when she had her amputation. We did carry Jaida up and down stairs for the first little while, because that is what worked for her and what she wanted. Other dogs refuse the help. If she's wobbly or you're feeling anxious, try supporting her belly with a towel wrapped under her.

Oh, one other thing...when you pick her up after the surgery, if you have a hatch back car or van, it might be easier to lift her in and out of the vehicle. Lifting a biggish dog gently into the back seat of a sedan is a bit tricky in my experience.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)