Thread: Itchy Dog...
View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Plan A would be an allergist. Plan B would be an elimination diet - doctors often do this with people as well - I have been put through B and A in that order. I do know of a woman with an Eskimo dog (they have sensitive skin and tummies) who put her dog on Lamb and Rice food as usually that is tolerable - but then spent $1,000 at the allergist's to find out he is allergic to Lamb. I am sure you have tried changing his shampoo - I would suggest to something that contains absolutely no botanical or "natural" ingredients - I have extreme sensitivities to products formulated for sensitive skin - which often contain botanicals and being allergic to anti-histamines does not help. One of my mini Dachshunds had a similar problem. You might also try a different laundry detergent - when your pup sits on your lap or on the bed skin touches the fabric. I once had a Lhasa who was allergic to everything - actually even to himself it would seem - this made a bit of difference. Trial and error. With humans they often suggest sweet potato and chicken - but sweet potato as a vegetable is high in natural sugar so might not be good for your dog if he has a low thyroid. My Eskimo does best on a Salmon dry food diet - no corn. But other dogs have not had the corn problem. But work on environmental things you can control first - shampoo - not too much bathing of course, detergents, any air fresheners you might use in the house or cleaners, that type of thing. One of the ingredients in my skin care is highly refined Emu Oil which works well for me. BUT I cannot use straight Emu Oil. My dog's groomer does sell Emu Oil though and some dogs with itchy skin have improved with its use. Frankly since my skin is so dry, I do scratch a bit myself despite overload on creams. Best of luck, but take it one day at a time - the allergist told me that if I have same reaction 3 times then remove from my list - and when the 3 times did happen, it overlapped to same family of foods - say broccoli and cauliflower.