View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

BYB=Back Yard Breeder.

I have a BYB dog too, also a huge mistake but I didn't know any better, and now that I'm better educated would never repeat the mistake.

BYBs are people who happen to have an unfixed dog (or cat) that they happen to think is pretty special, and they just happen to have or find another dog of the opposite sex, and they make puppies, more often than not, simply in order to make a few bucks, or to experience the "miracle of birth" or to "teach the kids responsibility" or some other equally terrible reason to breed.

The problem? These people know nothing about breeding, about the health risks and issues for the parents or the puppies, they know nothing about pedigree, genetic/hereditary diseases, sanitation and transmission of disease, they usually don't provide adequate vet care, and in the end...

suckers like me who don't know better end up with dogs with terrible health, weak nerves, end up spending thousands of dollars at the vet trying to help their beloved pets, and, like me, just end up with broken hearts.

Our dog is 15 months old, is a foreleg amputee, and is now dealing with serious hip displasia that will require a total hip replacement to repair, and we haven't got a clue how she's going to manage the recovery period with only two good legs. She is prone to stress. She has a terrible appetite and we have to practically BEG her to eat each and every meal. For a German Shepherd, she is dumb as a post. Luckily, she's sweet as pie, happy considering her health issues, and is wonderful with people, including children, and is great with our cats, but things could have been much worse. Her great personality is about the only thing she has going for her.

Not to mention, while BYBs are pumping out sickly puppies by the thousands, there are millions of animals in shelters that don't get homes, and are euthanized.

Personally, I think all BYBs are scum. They're no different from puppy mills.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)