View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post

the point I did want to hit on, is (I forget the exact stat so forgive me) som'thing like 80% of dogs that exhibit RG in a shelter situation, that are placed anyway, NEVER show the behavior again....In other words, the stress and anxiety of the shelter is what is causing the behavior...also the stress of being placed can cause it, but its only temporary
Absolutely. Not only pits show badly, but rottweilers, dobermans and GSDs as well. When I evalute or re-evaluate the dogs before testing for any food aggression or resource guarding is to try and establish a 'relationship' with them outside of a shelter environment..either going for a walk first, or just removing them from areas that are high dog concentrations (again time is a factor). Once I establish a level of trust with them, only then will I attempt. Also, the dogs I see have already been evaluated. I get called in to re-evaluate to see for potential for rescue. The evaluation is not shared with me, and once my evaluation is compete, we then exchange notes or initial evaluation. I am pleasantly surprised that we normally come up with almost exact reports.
Once I network and get these dogs into rescues I will get calls saying that what we reported has not been seen since in foster homes. . Regardless, we advise all rescues on what was seen at the shelter so it gives them a heads up.
There are obvious issues however that we know will not be remedied by simply removing them from shelter to rescue homes. These are the dogs that require alittle more effort and more evaluation to determine whether a rescue can handle or not.

Yes ...quick fixes are not ideal, but necessary. When shelters or pounds have a high turn over rate, we must do whatever necessary. It could very well be frawned apon, but I will take that critism if it means saving the dogs life.