View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM

what the vet said?

I have mentioned this several times to our vet, but not pressed the issue, since I have not been able to bring the dog when the coughing is happening. She said the vaccine probably was causing some sensitivity, and recommended we try a new one that is injectable, instead of being blown into the nose. This time when I took them for the vaccine, the vet office said they were no longer offering the injectable kennel cough. I suppose that means it was not effective or expensive? I don't know. We only see the vet about once a year per dog, so they tend to be pretty healthy. I think I will just try to avoid the kennel cough vaccine in the future, and may try to space out the other vaccinations, as recommended in the other reply. It makes me feel better to know other people have had benadryl prescribed for their dogs, and I will also ask the vet for specific instructions on dealing with this when it happens again. I was particularly shocked by the inflamed mucus membranes, and should have attempted to consult a vet right then. But it would have been long distance for anyone to call us, and I don't think they would have done that. thanks very much for your replies!