View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanne View Post
I have 2 allergy dogs, with some skin issues. My boy, who is older, I adopted when he was 14mos and his skin and coat have come LEAPS and BOUNDS that's for sure. He does still get dry flaky skin, but it's pretty minor now. My girl I just adopted a couple of weeks ago, and she is very dandruffy-it's her I'm concerned about. Her actual coat is very soft and she is shiny, it's just that her skin is very flaky. We live on the coast so it is generally pretty moist here, although it was dry and cold for the past week up til yesterday!

Both dogs get a fish oil pill (1000mg) every morning and every night. They are on a fish kibble, grain free (all treats, etc, are grain free). They do not get grains, beef, or chicken in any way shape or form. Nahla, my girl, had a minor skin infection from licking her feet so she's been on antibiotics for them. (Both dogs get a bit of plain yogurt in each meal, and also some canned pumpkin).
First of all, welcome to pets.ca and we'd love to see pics of Nahla and Whistler.

Glad to hear that you have them on a grain free kibble but if you just got Nahla a couple of weeks ago, do you know what she was eating before? Two weeks would not be long enough to show much improvement. Did she have the infection from licking her feet when you got her or did it happen after?

Do you know for sure that they are both allergic to chicken? It is possible that she is allergic to fish and you would need to try a different protein. There are also other ingredients she could be allergic to ....what brand are you feeding?

Does Whistler only get flakiy skin in the winter months? A lot of pets get itchy skin when we turn our furnaces on so sometimes using a humidifier helps.

As mentioned, you have to give a vitamin e supplement when you are adding fish oil as the fish oil depletes the body of vitamin e. I have the dosages saved somewhere and will post when I find them.