View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM

I managed to watch last night. Here is a recap.

First one profiled was a woman w/dogs. And I'm not sure how many, 6, 7, 8, somewhere in there. They appeared to be all small dogs. Anyway the dogs had NEVER been outside because she didn't have a fenced yard and was afraid to let them out for fear something would happen to them. It was sad. So consequently the dogs did their business anywhere in the house. One of her sons and her neice were very concerned for her health and her money. The amonia levels from the urine were high. And her paycheck would not last till the end of the month because the ONLY play she would go is to the pet store. She would end up needed help w/groceries because she never had any left over after taking care of the dogs.

So her one son and niece did an intervention of sorts. They were able to convince her to bring a vet in (since they had never been out, they had never been to the vet). So a vet came into her home and indicated she could smell urine and it was not good for her etc. The vet convinced her to let her take all the dogs and get them checked out, vaccinated and spayed and neutered.

In the meantime, her family installed a doggie door and a large dog run so the dogs could go outside and they cleaned up her house. Oh my goodness, the dogs looked so happy to be outside running around and chasign each other and sniffing trees and such.

The next profile was of a gentleman who was prob late 50's early 60's whose wife could not live w/him anymore due to a health condition she had (not sure what) that became dangerous to her health because they had 60+ cats. None were spayed/neutuered so they just kept reproducing. This house was a disaster. The cats used litter boxes but it appeared the most did their business wherever. It was overwhelming for the man to clean up after them so he didn't. He only had one chair he could sit in that wasn't covered in urine. All of his furniture, carpet and flooring had been scratched and shredded. There was urine on the walls, appliances, furniture. It was all stained (I cannot even begin to imagine what that smelled like).

He had received notices from animal control due to abuse/neglect. His family finally convinced him the best thing would be to let animal control come in to rescue the cats and if he called them it would be less likely for him to be arrested and charged (and they did not arrest and charge him). So they came in and began removing the cats which as you can imagine was hard on everyone. I almost got sick when they moved the couch away from the wall and there was a pile of pooop almost as high as the couch and a dead cat there as well.

He hired a company to come in and basically gut his house (clean, paint, etc), replace carpet and flooring, and get new furniture. His wife was able to move back in.

Sad and interresting at the same time.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.