View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Not Fair Melissa!!

Posting a link where I can look at mals...

We had a beautiful white mal and she went to the rainbow bridge at the age of 14. We miss her still and it has been almost 5 years since she left. We would love to have another, but that isn't possible right now.

And about the wolf cross thing...I am very sceptical about any labeled such. I am sure that Sheba was not a wolf cross, but the vet swore up and down she had to be because of her longer snout and yellow eyes. Her size didn't help my arguement either though, she was about 150 lbs (depending on the season) and her 'prey instinct' was a constant challenge. We didn't dare have another dog or cat with her. She even got a budgie out of a cage hanging from the ceiling once when she was left at home.

We had to keep her away from other domestic pets, and have a few 'stories' about stupid people wanting their dog to just be friends with her (no dogs died, but a few were injured)

She also did kill a coyote once and required some vet care for that episode.

Malamutes are probably one of the closest breeds to wolf behavior and tempermant still, and requires a knowledgable owner. Unfortunately, because of how much they look like wolves, they are often owned by people who just want a big, 'cool' dog and are destructive and dangerous because the owner doesn't know how to handle a dog with such a strong personality.

That said, despite the challenges, she was such a sweetheart that adored everyone and thought she was a lap dog. You con't help but love her and I would get another mal in a heartbeat if I had the room for one and if I didn't rent

Malamutes are defiantely my favorite breed and I just wish people would be a little more educated before attempting such a dog