View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Good plan. Did the vet give you some detailed instructions on how to feed Tus and care for the tube?
Yes we had some instructions, but as always yours are more detailed)

As well the tube is not working <sigh> It's clogged already and we haven't even started yet. We put in water last nite and tried to get some food in the tube and it would not go in. So here we are with some food in the tube and it won't go any further. SO we worked it with water until we got that amount down the tube.

I tried again this morning. Unfortunately with watered down slippery elm bak (thought it might help her stomach) well did not matter as that wouldn't even go down the tube. Then tried to flush that out and managed to pop the syringe out and spray both of us with water.

JC will anything go right with this poor cat. I think she's been tortured enough. She's just miserable.

Anyway called the vet and now have to go back AGAIN at noon to day and try and get that fixed. They should start paying me for all the trips I go there.

As for the slippery elm bark I've mixed some into her food, about 1/2 tsp per can so I'll leave it at that. I'm just trying not to upset her stomach.

Quote:
I wouldn't at this point. See how she does first and if vomiting or diarrhea become an issue, maybe then it would be useful. You'll have to be very careful that the slippery elm doesn't clog the tube if you do decide to use it.

Quote:
Good luck with the feedings. I found it worked best if I put the cat on my lap while doing it (facing away from me), but you'll figure out a system that works best for you and Tus.
I plan on watching a movie with Tus on my lap, then both of us will be relaxed and I can give her small amounts over a long period of time)

Quote:
It's important to go quite slow at first, like maybe 3mls per minute or less. Gradually work up the amount of food by 5-10mls per session. You also don't want the food to be cold from the fridge. And it's very important to rinse the tube with about 10mls of warm water after each feeding to prevent the tube from clogging.
Thanks for this detail, I'll hang onto this so I don't forget the amounts. It's always the amounts that is so hard to pin down.

Quote:
You may need a bandage change at the vet in the future, but for now just leave it be. It looks worse than it is and most cats adapt to it very quickly.
Ok I'll try not to feel any more guilty than I do now and went I see the vet again I'll ask about the bandage change. Of course still waiting on the test results from the US of A.