View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:39 PM

She looked right at me, squatted and peed!

Since Allie came to live with me in July I have been struggling with her "disposal in the house". At first it was all the time peeing and pooping in the house while I was gone. She would leave these little "presents" for me at the door when I walked in or in a favorite spot of her choice. As I realized this was due to separation anxiety and worked with that it became less often. Recently though if I am not home from work by a certain time she pee's on my area rug. So I started to lift it up when I left. This seemed to work until I came home today and she had peed in a corner of my room. She goes out often but will only pee at certain times in the day. To top it all off I was watching tv the other night before bed and she got up looked right at me, squatted and peed right on the rug in front of me. The problem is that I don't think she knows she is mis-behaving by peeing in the house. I think in her mind it registers that if she is not outside then she can pee wherever she wants. I have tried many things to stop her (ie-positive re-inforcement when she pees outside or when she holds it until I come home, sending her to her "bad corner" after she has done it and even a little tabasco sauce on the tongue). I am getting to the point now where I think nothing I do will work. She was diagnosed with spay incontinence but I thought this only affected her with dripping. She has seperation anxiety really bad and sometimes even loses control when I walk in the door. Does anyone know how I can get it to register to her that it is not ok to pee in the house? She is house-trained but I think her problem is deeper than just bladder control at this point. She seems to have this type of behaviour on the days that she goes for shorter walks and still has some energy pent up. Any ideas???