View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Regressive Behaviour

It's been a very good couple of months with Farley. I'm not sure how many (maybe 5?) but Farley was doing wonderfully. No accidents in the house , able to leave him alone all day etc.. Then last Tuesday he was destructive (chewed our door) and peed in the house. He was fine again up until yesterday , when again he was very destructive with chewing , broke down a barrier into the kitchen and proceeded to tear stuff apart. We set up his crate last night and put his bed in it with the intentions of starting to crate him again. Well, he wasn't impressed. Wouldn't go in it.

Farley had a really strong , strong negative association with the crate before and it took a tremendous amount of work to get him crate trained. Seeing how he wasn't impressed with the crate last night , we decided not to crate him today because I'm worried about him breaking out and doing even MORE damage. Today he chewed , broke down barriers, peed in the house etc..

So im at a loss as to what to do.

I dont want to get back into a situation where we are forcing him into the crate. It doesnt work.

Why would he suddenly regress like this again? We are not leaving him for longer periods of time or more frequently. There has been no change in the house. Everything has stayed the same.

I just don't understand why he is acting this way. To be fine one day and then suddenly revert back to negative behaviours?

It's amazing how one previous owner can screw up a dog so much. I mean whoever had him before , screwed him right up for the rest of his life.