View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Cerena, welcome to pets.ca! Sorry that you're girl is having all these issues right now. How old is Jasmine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerena View Post
So... the solution is to put her on it for a couple of weeks, do blood work to see where she's at, and then if all goes well to go ahead with the dental extraction.
In the meantime, is she at least on some pain meds? (and not Metacam!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerena View Post
Also, if anyone has had their cat go through dental or any other surgery, tips on how I should best help her recovery would be more than welcome.
My old guy had a broken canine removed a few years ago and he recovered awesomely. One thing I would highly recommend is a Fentanyl pain patch post-surgery. Having teeth removed can be extremely painful and with the patch, you don't have to try opening the cat's mouth a couple times a day. Also, be wary of using Antirobe drops. This is a liquid antibiotic frequently prescribed after dental surgery and it's absolutely positively the most foul tasting stuff I've ever put in my mouth. Plus, it's prone to causing diarrhea. I'll never use it on any other cat in my care, ever. I think vets that still prescribe it haven't ever tasted it. There are other options, like Clavamox tablets ground up and mixed into wet food.

All the best to you and Jasmine.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler