View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Help! My dog won't eat!

I know I haven't posted in a while, but I need your help! My dog has stopped eating her kibble. I make that distinction "her kibble" because she'll eat just about anything else. (even dog "you know what" outside. only once. gross.) She is drinking a lot, peeing a WHOLE lot more, and has interest in anything but her food. She is pulling an all-out, "Ghandi-style" hunger strike. Meanwhile, she's lost about 10 pounds (the vet wanted her to gain an additional ten when we got her), and I am freaking out! All my friends that have had dogs before (She is my first dog. Go big or go home I say.) say it's not uncommon for dogs not to eat too much when it's warm out, or to go on "strike" for human food. We are in the middle of week three of "kibble lock out" and I don't know what to do. The vet recommended adding things to her food to make it more apetizing like ketchup (she just licks it off), or garlic powder (same) or wet food. She seems really interested in the wet food, though. Is it bad to feed a dog only wet food? I think there's something about gums and teeth if you only feed them wet food (which I guess is the same for us humans, eh?) but at this point, I am willing to give in just to make sure she eats something!!!! What can I do?

Helplessly devoted to dane!