View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Question Maggie is afraid of new puppy

This totally boggles me. Maggie has played with young dogs before but whenever Sparkie runs up to her there is frantic running away and a little growling. I'm trying to take it slow and make it really positive . I have held the puppy to let Maggie sniff her a little which she has done after only a bit of coaxing. I give Maggie loads of praise,treats and attention when the puppy is around (and only when she's calm, I don't praise her when she's acting scared or growly), which she seems to like but she is still skittish I have swapped their blankets around and the meetings between the two are short and I try to end on a positive note.

I know I should be more patient about this but I have fears of them never liking each other. Ever since we got the puppy, Maggie seems unhappy :sad: DH keeps telling me to give it time, because even though Maggie gets along well with other dogs this is the first time she has had to live with one (to our knowledge).

Any tips (or personal experiences) to make the transition easier would be appreciated.

Note: Some of you may have missed the thread but I am now the proud owner of a 9 week old Shih zu .

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu

Last edited by MommaKat; December 29th, 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: to make more sense ;)