View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Smile

Dear Sugarcat Mom,

I wanted to wait until Sunday to give a further (unbelievable) report on Finnegan's condition, we devoted the last three days to transforming all of our lives. We made relatively frequent spot checks for blood glucose levels, clearly totally necessary since at one point we actually had to deal with a low, totally unexpected. Finnegan's diet is now almost completely changed over - we totally stopped the MeDiCal Hypoallergenic kibble portion of his food early on, and gradually switched his Hypoallergenic soft food over to Wellness soft food, tonight he will get his first meal enitirely his new food, rather than the mixture of old and new. Here is the unbelievable news on two fronts:

HIS LANTIS DOSAGE IS DOWN TO 2 UNITS MORNING AND NIGHT FROM THE 6 UNITS MORNING AND NIGHT HE WAS ON only four days ago. His low point on his blood glucose curve is a healthy 10.5 on the new dosage.

HE HAS NORMAL BOWEL MOVEMENTS, NO DIARRHEA WHATSOVER, AND IS DEPOSITING THEM WITHOUT PROMPTING IN HIS LITTERBOX. I am still adding the probiotic, which I assume can't do any harm long-term.

A total life transformation within three days......we are elated, delighted, and speechless and Finnegan has also picked up again all of his normal behaviours, he is grooming, he is playing, his fur is beginning to look better, and his eyes are clear and green.

Come Monday his new life will begin, and we would like to enlist your further help regarding short-term/long-term insulin. Of course we will wait a couple of weeks or so since there may be further changes, but whatever dosage Finnegan ultimately arrives at, we want to take the next step of avoiding this endless curve up and down created by short-term insulin only, and want to introduce an additional step re adding long-term, which likely means Levemir. I understand you have some experience in this regard and we would appreciate your advice as to how to approach this combination approach.