View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
She won't drink regular water from a dish. But yesterday I measure what I put into her wet food and it was over 4 oz.

I was wondering if I'm inadvertently 'forcing' too much water by making it flavorful.

Since there were elevated kidney levels, I don't understand why he didn't test urine.

I'm also confused about phosphorous - one post said it doesn't cause CRF, and she doesn't have it right now. So why lower the levels?

I was thinking maybe more hydration would return her levels to normal and maybe prevent CRF?

Also, is CRF and KD the same thing?

She is about 18.
What is she drinking water from a running tap or a fountain?

The amount of water in the food isn't really going to be enough to say it's too much, for any kind of kidney issue they need the extra water to flush out the toxins in the body.

As for why your vet didn't test the urine you can always request a urinalysis.

High phosphorus levels in food will not cause kidney failure in a healthy cat, and feeding a low phosphorus food to a healthy cat will not prevent kidney failure. Feeding a low phosphorus food to a kidney failure cat is less strain/less work for the kidneys. Phosphorus is an essential mineral in the body that can not be properly excreted by damaged kidneys leading to other complications as well as the cat feeling awful.

Quote:
http://www.felinecrf.org/just_diagnosed.htm#phosphorus
Phosphorus and calcium are minerals which are important for nerve function, muscle contraction and bone formation. A healthy body has a natural balance between levels of phosphorus and calcium. CRF kidneys can no longer excrete phosphorus properly so levels of phosphorus rise (hyperphosphataemia), which can then adversely affect the cat's calcium levels, with potentially serious consequences (secondary hyperparathyroidism). Not only that, but high phosphorus levels may make the CRF progress faster and can make a cat feel lousy. So controlling phosphorus levels is one of the most important steps in managing CRF and helping your cat feel better.
CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) & CKD or KD (Chronic / Kidney Disease) are different ways of saying the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
I got her labwork.

BUN = 38 Says normal is 15-34.

MCHC = 37.6 norm 29-36

Is the Wellness chicken and herring OK? She likes it!
What is the Creatinine level?

The slightly raised MCHC is a higher concentration of hemoglobin in the red blood cells, likely due to not drinking enough water to compensate for the amount she's peeing.

Wellness Chicken & Herring is too high in phosphorus the dry matter amount is 1.48%, the goal for dry matter phosphorus is 1% or lower. The Wellness flavours I mentioned at the top of the thread all have acceptable dry matter phosphorus levels of between 1.05 - 1.17%.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food