View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM

Okay, it is not too often that I post a reply on this board but sometimes I feel that I have to share my agreement openly as opposed to silently nodding my head at the computer screen.

Greenhunsaker32, while I agree with you that people must come before all else, you appear to put pets on the same level as THINGS!! They are not things!! In fact, I get offended that pets are listed as merchandise in many classifieds! They are members of your family. Granted, if they pose a health or safety risk to your children that cannot be resolved, obviously, your children come first. None the less, they are not toys that are put aside when the novelty wears thin! Or, for that matter, put outside because their mess causes an inconvenience.

I was raised with animals and come from a household that some might categorize as obsessively clean. Our dogs and cats always lived in the house (I would have moved my horses in if I could have found a way - but they are in a barn that is nicer than some homes with rubber mats, electric waterers, heat, etc - but I digress). To this day my parents have three dogs (two akitas and an australian heeler) and two cats living in the house with them and these animals RUN the house!

My husband and I live in a condo and my husband is not a huge dog fan. He loves cats and had no problem with my cat (a hair producer unto herself!). I could not live without a dog. My husband, understanding how important it was to me, finally agreed to having a dog (obviously, since we live in a condo, outdoor living for a dog was not even an option but it would not have been discussed in any event). After researching breeders, I finally found the breeder that was right for me, gave my deposit and waited for my puppy to be bred and then born. I warned my husband that, with a puppy, things would get dirty (really that was more my concern than his) and that things would get ruined.

Even though my husband is not a dog fan, Oliver, our shiba inu puppy, sleeps on his bed in our room. He will sleep nowhere else. Our house is his house.

I too am a clean freak. I seem to spend a lot of time vacuuming, dusting and wiping the pet hair (not to mention tidying whatever Oliver has left behind in his playtime since toys are soooo fun to scatter!) Lint rollers have become accessories in every room of our house. This is part of the price of animal ownership!

In short, animals should only be acquired by people who are certain that they can take proper care of them. This means looking after both their PHYSICAL and MENTAL health. By leaving a dog outside at night, its mental health is being neglected. My friends and family all know that if they want to see me in my off time they have to include Oliver in whatever we do. In fact, Oliver often accompanies me to clothing stores, the nail salon, work after 5:30, you name it.

Oh, and by the way, with respect to what I do to help people: I volunteer every week at a city operated community drop in centre for street kids and adults and those that live in single occupancy hotel rooms; I am on the board of directors at that drop in centre; and I act as a volunteer providing pro-bono legal services for those that cannot afford to hire a lawyer privately. I also regularly donate to several charities which include the Salvation Army and women's shelters. Is that enough for you or would you like me to do more???