View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat View Post
Wow! That rehoming thread got vicious, no wonder it's closed.

In an effort to turn it to the positive, here is what i have sent local Toronto media in the hope they will delve into it:

ANIMAL OVERPOPULATION PROBLEMS IN TORONTO
Vicious cycle of re-homing pets overwhelming shelters

For research, some good grist and heartfelt quotes you can report: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/

Even a cursory search reveals anguish of animal advocates at the impossible situation being faced.

Both free online classifieds – www.toronto.en.craigslist.ca and www.toronto.kijiji.ca/ are presently being inundated with (free) ad to dispose of (spinword term used is “rehome”) pets, primarily cats. People are offering kittens and cats for free, no strings attached, sometimes giving reasons like ‘I have to move and they don’t take pets there’ or ‘I work all day and cant give my pet the attention it deserves’.

Humane and rescue shelters are overcrowded and cannot cope with the steady stream of unwanted and stray animals. Although they do a lot to try to place properly spayed/neutered/vaccinated animals in their care – how can they compete with free throwaway ads on the internet? None of these shelters get government funding and rely on scarce charitable dollars.

What could be the solutions?

*Spay/neuter clinic opening up in late 2008/early 2009 in Newmarket to charge low rates for spay/neuter (website: www.spaycentral.com/ ). Will even do pickup and delivery.

* Create city-wide program whereby all pets and strays must be spayed/neutered, funded by the City (it's a health issue too)

* Legislate that NO ANIMAL may be transferred ownership without a set minimum fee being paid (fees to go to shelters)... kinda like swiching a used car registration when you sell it

* Education campaign to remind people that a ‘no pets’ requirement for tenants is invalid (it’s in the Ontario TENANT Protection Act, which list very, very limited parameters for this)

If we are caretakers of the planet, surely we are caretakers of its inhabitants, including the animals

Anyone else have constructive ideas on how to reverse this disposal trend and help the animals?
I dont have anyideas to add, but would you mind if steal you idea, and put one in the newfoundalnd media's? Id want to take your words and switch them up a bit to make it useful in NFLD.. If you have a problem with this, tell me please..lol