Thread: Advice on RAW
View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
thawing bags of meat on the counter for next day's feeding (a whole turkey needs 1.5 days on my counter to thaw!), then storing the meats in a plastic bin or bowl in the fridge, dinnertime you take out a portion and hand to the dog! hmmm not TOO complicated, LOL!
I'm new to the whole raw food diets (well I've been reading for many years, but never switched my dog, and still haven't yet). I just talked to my vet about it, and he says he neither encourages it or discourages it. It suits some people, and it doesn't suit others. He did say if you're going to do it, you have ot do it right otherwise it's detrimental. Long story short, one of his biggest concerns (besides balance in the diet) is salmonella and E. coli. He says he has treated several dogs and cats for these infections, and most of the time it has originated from feeding raw diets (other times it was getting into the garbage or a dead animal in the bush or something). He suggested I sear (sp?) the meats to kill these bacterias.

Ok, so my point is...it's very dangerous to leave your frozen meats on the counter to thaw. Meats should be placed into the fridge to thaw (as per Food Safe rules), as the surface temperature of the meats gets high enough to strongly encourage bacterias like E. coli and salmonella, which you're then feeding to your pet uncooked. I'm sure you're going to say "I have been doing this for X years, and have never had a problem". What if your luck is running out?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie