View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM

oh! answers!

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to bookmark the site.

In answer to how old they can be, Rufio is just over one year old and really does all the pulling. Dog sledding books say start them at 6 mo to any age. The reason I got my bikesled together was because if I walk them with a leash THEY TAKE OFF AND I GO FLYING!!! AAAAAGH!!!!!! The landings are not fun!!! So this has been an awesome answer, on the "bike" (really) he doesn't have to pull too hard, I'm sure he's thrilled to be able to RUN. Last week though I took them to the horse trails and he came crashing back out of the woods with a limp, so now when I take them I still get on the bike but I yell "EASY" at them instead of "HIKE" and make them go at a walking pace. We'll do this until I'm sure he's totally healed. This way they are not pulling me at all, but he still tries to pull just like he would if I was walking with a leash. The beauty of the bikesled is it's really a control feature. The brakes together with the weight of the bike and myself are just enough to hold them back. We're all so happy now!

Most of California is hot but not where I live. And I'm glad my cousin didn't take them in Oregon because when it poured the other day, oh my gosh, you would think Huskies wouldn't even notice, but not my two. I had to coax them out in the rain to make sure they didn't wake me up in the middle of the night with a nature call emergency

God is good! Now if only they would stay out of the sludge by the bay...