View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2001, 12:19 PM

Question

Question: hi there, I am in a predicament, and I am hoping you will be able to shed some light to help remedy this situation. my neighbor which happens to be my sister in law, has two dogs, both beautiful dogs, but
they refuse to tie them up. these two dogs like to kill and bring home small to medium animals, like cats, muskrats, small foxes to birds. they kill them and mangle them, and leave the carcasses there to rot. my sister in law or her husband don't clean them up unless we ask them to. their kids are small 2.5 and 1 yr olds, our kids are bigger 9, 12, and 14. my kids know not to touch the carcasses, I have talked to them about this and they seem to understand. the problem is that I am afraid to get any animals of my own, for fear of their dog killing them. when I had my St. Bernard their one dog ran over and attacked my dog, and they didn't think much of it. the one dog had bitten me twice, really just nipped me and didn't draw blood, and did the same to my older son. that one dog used to be abused by a
previous owner and gets upset if you go near his collar. they say that they will not tie up their pets, or put them in a dog pen, they say its not right. and they refuse to put up a fence for financial reasons. and since I am on a roll and venting, they also get into our garbage on
garbage day and drag garbage from the road to their house. its a mess.

sometimes the dogs just come over, especially when they come over and I have asked them not to let their dogs come over, they stink, oh, they also don't bath their dogs, they say that they clean themselves. we have a large lot 175X200 and it would cost us a fortune to fence in our yard to keep them off of our property, especially since they are not our dogs, but what do we do.....they are family. after living here for 16 years and
enjoying it my husband is talking about moving.....because of these dogs!
I hope you can help me resolve this, I don't know what to do or where to turn. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have, I love animals very much and I believe I am a responsible pet owner. since I lost my St. Bernard 2 years ago, from a car accident, I haven't thought about another pet until recently. please help me find a solution to this dilemma, thanking you in
advance........

Mary