Healthy garbanzo & beet spread

This is VERY easy to make.

Ingredients

13oz can Garbanzo beans (chick peas) - drained
5.5 oz can beets - drained
1/4 cup Nori (any kind of seaweed)
less than 1/4 cup of part skim ricotta cheese
1 tbsp lite Caesar dressing.

Toast the seaweed for about 6-7 minutes in a 350 oven. Don't toast too long or it will be bitter. When crispy, take out and crush.

In a food processor pulse the garbanzo's and beets. When they are mixed but still chunky, take out half of the mix and put in a bowl. To the mix still in the processor add the seaweed, dressing and ricotta cheese and blend until smooth.

Add the smooth to the chunky mix in the bowl. I do this to give it a little texture.

The seaweed is salty, so you don't need to add extra salt. You can substitute the seaweed with a can of tuna. I used to make it with tuna, but since going veg, I don't eat fish, and the seaweed gives this a bit of a fishy flavor I like.

This is really easy to make, not expensive. The most expensive ingredient for me was the seaweed, and I was able to purchase a small bag at Whole Foods for $3.99. I got the cheapest bag.

I spread this on tortillas, crackers and toasted bread. I'm even thinking I can make appetizers with these by putting them in little puff pastry shells.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by ancientgirl; September 4th, 2009 at 09:24 AM.