Thread: Poor Franny
View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
While I agree that it could have been someones cat that got out and got hit by a car, I don't think you should put up any posters. Instead, you should just keep a lookout for posters yourself. If the previous owner actually wants the cat back, they would put up posters themselves. You could always call around to the local shelters and ask if anyone has come in looking for the cat.

The vet should scan for a chip I hope. If the cat is not chipped, no collar or anything then she legally has a right to adopt the cat after a certain amount of time if no one is looking for the cat.
With all we just went through with George here, I have to agree that it is quite possible that this cat escaped, even from miles away and could have suffered an injury by car or otherwise. First priority must be given to a vet visit as that's what any of us would hope for our pets if they were out and had gotten hurt. Then yes, she or you even (you could just say a neighbour had found a cat- just like I called the HS for George and left both our numbers etc) should call the local vets and shelters to see if anyone is looking for this poor cat, check papers and keep an eye out for flyers. There is no need to surrender the cat to the shelter, in fact ours hopes that people who call for found pets are able to foster them until owners or homes are found. At that age, she could indeed be in a situation just like George, out in a strange place and scared, just wanting to go back home. (He looked pretty rough after only being out 2 weeks... who knows how long that poor girl has been out.)
And of course if no home is found then your neighbour sounds great as her new home, as long as she doesn't put the vet visit off much longer, IMO upon finding an injured cat, the vet should be the first stop. Unfortunately it is far more likely she was dumped or left behind, :sad: but on the off chance she has a loving family sick with worry about her fearing the worst, shouldn't she at least try to find them? I know one of my fears was that someone would take George in and we'd never know what happened to him, I think that is the worst possible outcome for any missing pet. The never knowing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M