View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Senior Contributor

The o-3's, also according to the link, should be about 9,000 mg. Olive oil is primarily O-9, and sardines are high in O-3's, but not that high. I believe that striving for high doses of the good oils is where some dogs get in trouble - trouble with fats more than protein, but that's the dosage that's called for in that diet.

Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans also add fiber to the diet. I have fed primarily a meat and vegetable diet for over 10 years no (no grains or potatoes) and the vegetables are really only a problem where there are weird allergies. I like the Normandy mix from Costco and I use a vegetable steamer, but I have too pick out the carrots, my boy is allergic.

You're right though, the important thing is that he eat the diet and it is working for him. I might first try adding the beef with no rice to his kibble and see if the works. That little extra of kibble that you are giving already has the carbs to offset the meat. Then, add the super veggies. Again, I worry about the oils, and too many oils, particularly without extra digestive enzymes, might be making him feel ill. You'll have to mess with it, and see how he feels. Keep an eye on the firmness of the stomach - if it's real tense and firm, that can often be inflammation. My girl would get this with oils.

I see now why you are making the choices you are, knowing his history best, and his quirks. I hope that he surprises you and all of us.