View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggieandme View Post
We do spend alot of time outside and she has been known to kill but not eat a few little birds and once a mouse.
If she was eating them, that would be deworming issue rather than a vaccination thing, so nothing to worry about there.

Quote:
Not unlike the cat food issues I am surprised any Vet would promote something that might not be in your pets best interest.
I don't think a lot of vets tend to keep as up-to-date on this as they should. Plus, vaccinations are a big money-maker for them. If the vet gives you any grief about it, tell him/her to check out the latest protocol as determined by the American Association of Feline Practitioners: http://www.catvets.com/professionals...ations/?Id=176

Quote:
I will learn more about this but, if you will, please tell me what you think she should have at this time if she belonged to you.
Thanks, Laurie:sad:
My opinion only, after having done a fair bit of research on the subject, I would only get vaccinated for rabies, and only with the Merial non-adjuvanted Purevax vaccine. If your vet doesn't have it, ask them to order it for you. It's up to you whether you get this annually or not, but I personally wouldn't do it more than every 3 years. Some stats compiled in the US indicated that, of all the pets that contracted rabies, there were just 2 cases where the pet had only been vaccinated once in it's lifetime, and NO cases where the pet had been vaccinated twice or more. The rest had never been vaccinated.

I would definitely not get the feline leukemia vaccine beyond kittenhood, nor any of the other non-core vaccines. The FVRCP 3-in-1 (panleukopenia, rhinotracheitis, calicivirus) might be on my list if I had a multi-cat (more than 3) household, but again only every 3 years. As it stands now with my 15yr old kitty, he will not get anymore vaccines. He was vaccinated yearly until he was 3, then not again until he was 9, then the vet talked me into giving him the FVRCP one when he was 13, but no more. If I was starting fresh with a new kitten, I'd do the first set of shots, possibly a booster, and that would be it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler