View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Helicopter Champion

Horrible situation for a girl trying to help ...

Wasn't sure if I should post this in On- or Off- topic ... please feel free to move as necessary. Saw this article in today's Globe and Mail and wanted to post it. Too bad everyone in the world didn't care for critters as much as this little girl:

Six-year-old turtle helper killed in traffic
Wednesday, June 8, 2005 Updated at 1:16 AM EDT
Associated Press

Fort Myers, Fla. — A six-year-old girl darted into traffic to save a turtle and was killed when she was hit by a car, officials said.

Emily Kent was riding with her mother Sunday when they spotted the turtle trying to cross a busy road.

Geraldine Kent pulled over so they could help, and Emily jumped out as her mother screamed at her to wait, friends said. The first-grader was struck by a car and died of her injuries. No charges had been filed.

“I've had a lot of drivers swerve to avoid a raccoon or another animal and wreck their cars,” said Sergeant Owen Keen of the Florida Highway Patrol. “I've never had anyone go to help an animal and get run over.”

Friends and family said Emily was an animal lover who would often try to catch turtles and snakes and never went far without her dog, Alexis.