View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Dundee was a very small baby, SIA, so cheer up, you haven't got big Chi's. What do they weigh at birth?
Face markings on shelties tone down a bit too, here is one of my pups, Alistair(to be named Tiber in his forever home) as an example. But, white markings are not quite like solid coloured patches in the wrong place. I hope for Chris's sake the pup looks better at maturity, but if not, well, the mating was done to preserve some very good old bloodlines, she and I are both very concerned about the state of the gene pool due to popular sire syndrome or whatever they call it now. That fad where everyone breeds to the one type/bloodline that judges care to put up. It has done so much damage to my breed here(as in lost bloodlines) that, all joking aside, to find an outcross you'd almost need to import dogs back from the States.
Know what you mean by the way, cattle dogs are born white, the only colour being the head markings, so it was interesting to later have sheltie pups where you could start geussing what shade they would turn out and hope for the perfect collars and even leg markings etc. for the show ring. The best pup as far as breed type goes was not always the best marked. LOL. Frustrating.
Attached Images