View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, took me a while to respond and you've already answered some of my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
It's probably around 3 oz's of food, I've never measured it that way, but not enough to gain or maintain the weight.
Definitely needs to eat more. Try some of the tips I mentioned, but what you're aiming for is about 20-30 calories per lb per day. 3 oz of Wellness is only about 100-120 calories, and she needs at least 200 calories a day to maintain 10 lbs.

Quote:
I am in agreement, so why do the vet's push it so much? For one thing it has tons of by-products in it.
They don't know any better. Vets get woefully limited education on feline nutrition, and what they do get is provided by the very pet food companies (ie Hill's) whose products they then sell out of their clinic. Big conflict of interest.

Quote:
The suggestion of a stimulant was tossed out due to it's side effects of hard on the kidney's.
But starving and weight loss are even harder on the kidneys. As is a surgical procedure involving anesthetic. So if some of my tips to get her eating more don't work, I would seriously revisit the possibility of an appetite stimulant. You don't have to use it all the time. There is a good one called mirtazapine that is very effective.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler