View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Well, I can't offer much advice, but I can say this. Do you have treats along with you when you take her for walks? Try to continue her training while you're out. Have her stop at each corner, sit, treat. Really work on the "heel" command. This will give her something to think about during walks, and maybe then she won't become bored so quickly. We're learning the "watch me" command in obedience class, which might help with the "she doesn't listen to me" issue. Sounds like you have a high-energy puppy there. Good luck!
Actually I do take treats sometimes, but the problem with that is that she'll literally harass me for treats by bunting me, grabbing at anything on me, or whatever she can do to get one (and ofcourse I don't give in, but the reality is that this makes a walk impossible and frustrating). If she's going to get one, it's because she does something good and listens. So that's not a problem in general (asides from the walks). But if I don't have a treat, then she doesn't listen at all; this dogs problem is not intelligence lol. I tried to make it so that the reward was a toy or for me to pay attention to her at the time she does something good, but that's not what seems to get her. And to cut back on the treats, I make her do multiple things before getting one: but as soon as she gets that treat, she's back to doing something she shouldn't be doing.