View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Help! Physically ill with worry about my cats! Just brought a puppy home.

I have two cats, 5 and 6 years old. One can be a total brat, but can turn around and be very loving, and the other is the sweetest, friendliest, most trusting cat I've ever met. These are my babies and I'm worried sick about them right now!

My husband and I have been wanting a puppy. We just brought home a boxer mixed with some sort of hound dog last night. Was this a really big mistake?

We were told the puppy (who is 6 months old) was a boxer mix, and didn't find out until we picked her up that she was mixed with some kind of hound dog. The poor baby has been through so much (parvo, coccidia, broken leg) in the past 6 months, and now that she's over her viruses and the cast is off and the broken leg gaining strength, we brought her home.

But it didn't hit me right away that it might be a problem that she's part hound. She lived with cats in foster care and while she chased after them, and plays rough, she seemed to only be interested in playing. The cats would hiss or smack, and she would leave them alone for a few minutes.

We took her on a walk this morning, she did the classic hound stance several times, and tried to eat a dead bird that we found in our path. Are my cats doomed to be eaten if we keep this dog? I'm so incredibly attached to them, it would really break my heart if we lost them! Or am I just freaking out a little too much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!