View Single Post
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooandgomez View Post
the food i feed him is supposedly one of the best cat foods on the market,
That's what the marketers would like for you to believe, but their primary interest is $$$, not the health of your cat.

Quote:
its very expensive, high quality protein, taurine, all their requirements,
Expensive does not equal quality, especially in this case. Here are the main ingredients for this food:
Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, corn, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, natural flavors, pea fiber, wheat gluten, rice hulls, dried beet pulp, soybean oil, calcium sulfate, sodium silico aluminate (zeolite), dried brewers yeast,...
The only meat protein is highly rendered chicken. Then you've got a ton of grains and useless fillers (rice hulls? seriously? ). This food may be appropriate for livestock, but it's not appropriate for cats.

Quote:
we only feed him indoor to stop him getting overweight as he is an indoor cat and doesnt get much exersise,
All of these "indoor" or "diet" or "hairball" formulas are purely gimics. In fact, your cat is actually more likely to gain weight on such a high-carb food. For cats, carbs = sugar, and sugar = weight gain. On top of that, eating such an excessive amount of carbs over a cat's lifetime all too often results in diabetes, dental disease, IBD, allergies.... The lack of moisture (10% or less) in kibble causes bladder and urinary tract issues, and can contribute to renal failure. So while you might think your cats are doing fine now, the long-term effects of such a diet may not become apparent until it's too late.

Quote:
we were reccomended it by our vet.
Most vets are woefully clueless about feline nutrition. They're only regurgitating the propaganda they've been fed by the pet food companies themselves. Some eye-opening reading for you: http://naturalcathealth.blogspot.com...ty-of-pet.html

Quote:
i dont feed him wet because the smell makes me ill,
Then try some other varieties of wet food (not all smell horrible, and I'd venture to say that the better ones should actually smell pretty good). Or look for some of the pre-made frozen raw products, which have no smell whatsoever. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought kibble smells nastiest, and since people tend to leave it sitting out all day, it stinks up the whole room and they don't even notice.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler