View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM

Cat - to keep or not to keep?

Hello all,

In September 2010, I adopted Kit-Kat, at the time an indoor 11-year old black cat, from my brother and sister-in-law. She was unhappy at their home since they got a new dog, and was spending her days hiding under the bed. Needless to say, she is now a very happy and extremely healthy cat, who loves to play, snuggle and, of course, sleep!

However, I accepted a job offer in Porto Alegre, Brazil, for two years and will be leaving on July 20th. However, I'm not sure if I should bring Kit-Kat along. I have two colleagues that have volunteered to take her in, both already with one or two cats, all with experience living with other cats, including my own Kit-Kat who had two companions for many years.

Here are the pros and cons for Kit-Kat if I do bring her:

Pros:
- She will feel safe with me.
- She will keep her same routine.
- She doesn't like going out on the balcony when's there is snow, but I won't have that issue in Brazil! (Although I'm not sure I will have a balcony)
- With a certificate from my vet, I can bring her to Brazil and there won't be any quarantine - she'll come straight to the apartment with me.

Cons:
- To get there from Montreal, it's 3 flights over a 24-hour period. She could potentially be in the cabin with me, but it's not guaranteed. How will she hold herself for 24 hours...?
- Once in Brazil, even though I'm working, I will probably travel a lot locally, and back to Canada twice a year for periods of two to three weeks. Although I already travel a lot, I always have someone stay at my house here. What if I can't find anyone to take care of her while I'm there?
- By the time I leave Brazil, she'll be almost 15. What if she's not healthy enough to fly back...?

Pros and cons if I leave her in someone's care here in Canada:
Pros:
- She'll be with a loving family.
- She won't have any upsets for food or water.
- She might enjoy the feline companionship.
- I can get her used to the new home's smells before she actually moves.

Cons:
- Changing homes at almost 13 will be traumatic (but then again, she adapted quite well with me even though she had spent 11 years with the same family).
- What is she doesn't get along with the new cats? She doesn't have claws, but they do.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, as I'm on the fence for this one. I want to do what's best for her, not me.