View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeakypig View Post
Hi Growler.

I maintained my cat, Casper for two years after he was diagnosed with kidney disease in 2007. A serious kidney infection that almost took his life there and then resulted in one kidney damaged so bad that it shrank to half size. The other kidney was also compromised, just not as bad. Casper was given less than six months but I worked with him day in and day out and managed to nurse him through two years. Fluid build-up around his lungs and heart finally forced me to put him down but he enjoyed a reasonable quality of life up to then.

So, you have time yet!
Hi Squeakypig, thank you for your story & tips. This thread was actually started in 2007, I lost my CRF girl Duffy in April 2010 to Lymphoma after 3 years of successfully managing kidney failure with homeopathy, raw food, fluids & lots of love.

Quote:
From my experience, this is what you need to do and watch for:

1. Don't worry about holistic food. Just start your cat on the special reduced protein food your vet has recommended. The protein must come down because it will damage the kidneys even more and negate any benefit that you might have hoped for from the holistic food.
Since the 2007 recalled tainted vet food was the cause of her kidney failure, there was no way I would've even considered feeding anything from the same manufacturer to my girl.

The reduced protein theory is outdated & not always a good idea especially in the early stages since cats are obligate carnivores & need meat protein to maintain muscle mass, stave off anaemia and it may also be contra-indicated when acidosis is present. More reading available here: http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional...ts.htm#protein

Quote:
2. Get your vet to prescribe Epikitin. This is a natural supplement that you sprinkle over the cat's food. The cat won't mind it at all. What Epikitin does for the cat is bind up the excess phosphate so that it passes with the urine. It works really well! Those high counts will drop in about four to six weeks.
Not all cats will have high phosphorus levels, my girls was middle of normal for the entire 3 years of dealing with CRF, but definately good for those who need it.

Quote:
You just wiggle the tapered end in between the moistened lips and once in, you slowly squirt the water into cat's mouth. They swallow it!
you obviously never met my girl some cats will refuse to swallow whatever liquid it put in their mouth and either forcefully expell it or just let it dribble out , Duffy had a fighting spirit & a stubborn streak a mile wide, very tough to make her do what she didn't want .

In order for this method to work, you need to position the syringe tip near the middle or back of the mouth, with the tip opening pointing towards the cheek or lower gums. Administer fluids very slowly to allow for swallowing & not to choke the cat with too much liquid at once.

Quote:
It will reduce the need for poking your cat in back with a big needle.
Instead of using the Monoject 18g needles from the vet, a much better choice is the Terumo Ultra Thin Wall 20g. Flow rate is the same with a smaller diameter needle, thinner walls and a super sharp beveled edge/point makes for a nearly unnoticed poke, way more comfortable than the Mj 18g mini-harpoons.

Quote:
be prepared for a long, slow, progressive weight loss.
Not if you feed a high quality protein diet. You can have good quality meat protein with reduced phosphorus levels and have the cat maintain weight. My girl was raw fed for 2.5 of the 3 years she dealt with CRF, there was no increase in blood phos, calcium or protein, she maintained weight and had fairly even stage 2 BUN & cre numbers. My vets were always delighted with her maintaining weight, in fact she did gain about 1/2 pound at one point. The only weight loss she had was as a result of lymphoma near the end.

Quote:
10. Blood work will become something of a routine that your cat will come to hate, vehemently!
Not always, alot depends on the temperment of the cat & how good your vet is. My girl quite enjoyed going to see her homeopath & homeopath vets, for her blood work was no big deal. Duffy's homeopath called her a miracle kitty for coming through so strong after the toxic food recall of 2007

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying