View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Good luck! I can certainly feel for you, as I would feel exactly the same. And I'm sure Albert is the only one who won't think it's that big a deal ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm9012 View Post
I have come to this board many times for advice in the last three years since I adopted my dog, and have learned a lot. I've tried to pass on my knowledge in return as well. My dog Albert, has had some eye issues recently, it quickly became glaucoma, and he is now losing his eye tomorrow.

We tried all the medicines, took all the tests..he is in pain and uncomfortable. I know that psychologically, he won't know he's missing his eye and that it will hurt me more than him. I know he is a beautiful, resilient creature that will adjust fine. It hurts me to think that this could have been avoided somehow but the truth is, we can't find a reason for the eye inflammation that then turned to glaucoma.

I ask if any of you have had this experience, to please pass on your wisdom to me. I cry when I think about his beautiful brown eyes looking up at me. When I adopted him, he was dingy, dirty, skinny...but we fell instantly in love with those eyes. To think he's losing one is just killing me. :sad:

I am trying to remain positive, he still has one good eye, he will no longer be in pain..he will still always be beautiful to us...but it still hurts.

He goes in for surgery tomorrow, and I feel defeated tonight. At least there is no permanent risk to his health..just two years ago he almost died of kidney disease, and we got through that hurdle beautifuly. Now this. I just want to enjoy the last few years I have with him. But I am heartbroken tonight. :sad:

If anyone has anything to share with me about what to be prepared for, and anything I can do to help him adjust to his seeing impairment, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, a positive vibe or prayer will do.

As always, thank you for all of your help.