View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

You've had this cat what - 2 weeks?? This could take months. It probably won't if done right, but you must be patient.

I've had MANY cats, including WILD cats, and never had one that didn't learn to get along with the others. I have one here now I trapped last summer, who is still skittish and fearful of me. But so what? You cannot put a time limit of a couple weeks on this.

Cats must do things in their own time, only when THEY feel it's safe and they are comfortable. You cannot force them to interact.

Your own cats rightfully feel they have an intruder plunked down among them, and the new cat is naturally frightened and unsure.

Hissing is NORMAL and you have to expect some of that. This cat is only 10 months old and certainly can learn to get along with your other cats, if you give her a chance.

She has been through a great deal of trauma, and for now needs to stay in one room and learn to feel more confident before you start the introduction process again. Just being out of her cage is stressful and scary for her.

But if you feel you can't wait until she integrates with your other cats, then maybe it would be best to put her in another home. If you do, make sure the people know her background and will be understanding and patient and that the home will be permanent.