View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby's tracy
I really felt that the article was referring to dogs who are beginning to show agression because they are trying to become dominant (like a bully in the schoolyard). In any case, that is how I took it.

If they were talking about a true alpha animal - like the ones you describe, Ontariogreys, then there would be no problem to deal with, right?

I appreciated the author's stress on MY behaviour, and how it might relate to un-balanced behaviour in my dog, that's why I posted it.

By the way, where did you get your quotes?
I had a mal that was a truely alpha female. you know how in a pack there is an alpha male and a alpha bitch...and she is the only one allowed to breed? well our mal figured my hubby was the male and SHE was the alpha female...she was sweet and gentle to the kids as she saw them as the pups in the pack. But her and I had an ongoing problem. when hubby wasn't home all was well, we could get along just fine and had some great walks etc. when hubby was present...oh boy!...she never once snapped or bit me...never even tried. but she would always try to be between hubby and I and would be quite upset if he was paying attention to me instead of her. We did all we could, I was the one who fed and groomed her, hubby would make a point of greeting me BEFORE her and she never allowed on the bed.
nothing ever changed her behavior and we were always careful to remain consistant in recognizing me as the alpha bitch, but we had many great years with her and will always miss her and her beautiful singing voice.

But I would personaly disagree that there are no problems with a true alpha...you just have to learn to deal with it in a way that everyone can be happy.