View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:14 AM

Two dogs we've had for years, fighting, big-time

We have two small female dogs in the house. They're both over five years old - I'm not sure about Dana's age - she was found on the side of the road and was an adult dog at that time. Dottie was about a year old when we brought her home.

They've both always gotten along really well. They "argue" every once in a while - like growling or even snapping at one another. That only typically happens rarely - maybe once in several months. Then, usually, just firmly saying their names will make them stop. We free feed and they'll often eat out of the same bowl. We all sleep together in the bed - Dottie likes to share hubby's pillow and Dana likes to lay behind my knees. Although they have two doggie beds in the living room, they'll often curl up together in the same one. Pretty much, things are easy-peasy usually.

Anyway, they've been getting more and more aggressive to one another over the last couple of days. They've fought several times today, maybe five or six times. It's been pretty vicious, too. My husband and I have had to pull them off of one another. He and I both have some bites to show for it. Neither of the dogs seem to be injured. (As I've been reading, I gather that's not the thing to do, possibly, but it's a knee-jerk reaction. I just think "they're hurting each other" and grab whichever one I can get. I'd rather be hurt than my babies be hurt.) There's no obvious trigger - we'll just be all sitting around and then suddenly there's this entangled pile of biting dogs. It's not one or the other, either. One time, Dottie will attack Dana, then later Dana will attack Dottie. We did get a new puppy several weeks ago, but he lives inside and outside, and hasn't even been in the house during many of the fights, and hasn't been involved in any of them.

Right now, they're separated into different rooms. I kind of hate that, though, because it's not their normal routine. I'm scared that it's going to make it worse by upsetting them. (Though, truth be told, neither is whining or acting unhappy.)

I'm hoping some of you guys might offer some suggestions???

I've been reading online and most of the information seems to be geared toward introducing a new dog, etc. I'm pretty sure there aren't any trainers available in the area. The nearest vet is three towns and 45 minutes away. The nearest animal shelter is three COUNTIES away. It's a very rural farming community.

(Also, I know that I'm an ill-informed animal owner, but I DO love them, and I AM trying to figure it out, so please bare with me.)