View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Investigative researcher

Is too bad that Australia has so many poisonous snakes--but I guess there is a reason for them. Yes, corns are very commonly kept as pets and bred to be a vast range of colors. Delilah is a common color for those found in the southeastern area of the US. She is about 4th generation captive bred.

Corns eat rodents and whatever mouse sized meal they can catch--nestlings, lizards etc. They are constrictors, so catch and squeeze the breath out of their prey to kill--then swallow whole. I do not believe in feeding live prey, so have a supply of frozen whole mice and thaw one every 10 days or so for her meal. She still "kills" it when you dangle it in front of her, which entertains kids who visit, but no mouse suffers, and the snake doesn't get bitten during the scuffle--a common problem for those who think putting a live rodent in the habitat is a good idea.

There are a great many pet snakes in north america--mostly ball pythons, corns and other small constrictors--but when one goes to the Reptile shows one sees a number of much larger species [ some poisonous ], among the many other reptilian groups. I personally just love my snake's beauty, and do not wish to have any pet I cannot handle. Well, excepting the fish,