View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady13 View Post
Actually, Cisapride has been discontinued in Illinois even for animals. I know this because I had two cats with Megacolon.
Cisapride is still available from compounding veterinary pharmacies. I don't know why Illinois would be any different than the rest of the world. From the Merck Veterinary Manual:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/190307.htm

Quote:
Although availability is now restricted (see below), cisapride was especially useful in animals that experienced neurologic side effects from metoclopramide. It was also useful in managing gastric stasis, idiopathic constipation, gastroesophageal reflux, and postoperative ileus in dogs and cats. Cisapride was especially useful in managing chronic constipation in cats with megacolon; in many cases, it alleviated or delayed the need for subtotal colectomy. ......

Initially, the only adverse effects reported in humans were increased defecation, headache, abdominal pain, and cramping and flatulence; cisapride appeared to be well tolerated in animals. As cisapride became widely used in the management of gastroesophageal reflux in humans, cases of heart rhythm disorders and deaths were reported to the FDA. These cardiac problems in humans were highly associated with concurrent drug therapy or specific underlying conditions. In veterinary medicine, adverse reactions to clinical use of cisapride have not been reported. But because of the cardiovascular side effects in humans, the manufacturer of cisapride voluntarily placed it under a limited-access program. Cisapride for animals can still be obtained through compounding veterinary pharmacies.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler