View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I don't think so, I mean he had no problem chewing on some chicken bones my hubby accidentally left out.
Or maybe he just knows dry food isn't good for him!

There is one thing that might be a concern if you were to feed this recipe long term and that's the calcium to phosphorus ratio. I realize that the dairy ingredients might partly be there to add calcium, but dairy also contains phosphorus (in fact, cottage cheese has twice as much phosphorus as calcium).

According to the latest (2006) National Research Council report on feline nutrition, cats should be getting a ratio of 1.125 (so, 180mg of calcium and 160mg of phosphorus per 9 lb cat per day). Your recipe is heavy on the phosphorus side (chicken has a ration of 0.09, so very little calcium). You could add bone meal, but I'd have no idea how much unless you were to calculate all the values for the various ingredients. So ya, are you sure you don't just want to feed a good canned food? I don't want to discourage you from making your own, but raw is actually easier cause you can use bones for the calcium.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler