Thread: Pitbull attack
View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM

I hope everyone will be okay. In another report I read it stated that these pitbulls were always seen running loose in the neighbourhood.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=3608362
Quote:
neighbors say they could frequently see the dogs roaming the neighborhood off leash...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwetnose
There was a similar attack in Colorado last week - a 10-yr old boy couldn't get into the front door of his own home so he went around to the back and the 3 pits who lived there attacked him and started to tear his throat out. He was is critical condition as of 2 days ago and I don't know if he is even alive still.
That is awful. The poor boy Yes, he is alive.
But, there is a lot more to this story than you just nicely summarized, for instance a neighbour stated,
Quote:
"They always had a pit bull tied up to the tree. The main tree there, and they were beating it with a stick...
http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/loc...308082609.html

911 Tapes From Pit Bull Attack Released
The 10-year-old boy attacked by three pit bulls in Aurora Wednesday was last reported in very critical condition. He was said to be alert and responsive.

Classmates of Gregg Jones were sending their support to the victim on Thursday.

"Dear Gregg, Hi, it's Kelsey. I was just checking on you again. I hope you get well soon. I'm glad you're okay," Kelsey VanEssen, a friend of Jones wrote.

School administrators at Yale Elementary sent letters home to parents explaining the dog attack. It happened in Van Essen's neighborhood. She saw it happen.

"I started crying because I didn't think that he'd be okay," VanEssen said.

School officials said crisis counselors will be at the school as long as needed. They said students and staff have been quite impacted.

Aurora police and the Aurora animal care unit call the investigation open. The three pit bulls had been living at Jones' house when the attack happened.

Jones couldn't get in his front door after coming home from school Wednesday. He was going around the back of the home when the attack happened.

911 tapes reveal that neighbors were screaming for the pit bulls to stop as they called authorities for help.

"No, no, no. Hurry," the caller said.

"Sir, I have the call in," the operator said.

"There's three of them attacking this little kid," the caller said.

"Yes Sir, I have the call in. I have help on the way. I'm trying for an ambulance as well," the operator said.

When paramedics and police arrived, one pit bull was killed. The two others were captured.

One neighbor had recently filed complaint about the pit bulls with police.

"They always had a pit bull tied up to the tree. The main tree there, and they were beating it with a stick, so I called the Aurora Police about it," Dawn Pearlstein said.

She filed the complaint three weeks before the attack.

Aurora police said they also received complaints about the pit bulls in 2002 and again last year.

Officers went to the home both times and determined the complaints weren't valid.

Jones has lots of people praying for him. His friends, classmates and neighbors hope he recovers and gets out of the hospital.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/main.a...rticleID=11097
Boy attacked by pit bulls in 'very critical' condition

By J.C. O’Connell
the Aurora Daily Sun & Sentinel

Aurora | A fourth grader was still in “very critical” condition Nov. 3 after his family’s three pit bulls attacked him in his family’s back yard, police said.

Gregg Jones, 10, was attacked when he came home from school Nov. 2 and jumped the fence into his back yard, according to city officials.

He was bitten in the head, face, throat, legs and arms. Pleas for help and barking can be heard in the background on the tape of a 911 call police released Nov. 3.

Neighbors heard the boy scream and ran to the yard, where they found him motionless with the dogs biting him. Armed with a bat, they eventually drove the dogs away from the child, said Aurora Police spokesman Tony Guzman.

A police officer shot and wounded one of the dogs, a pit bull licensed with the city, and it was later euthanized at a veterinary clinic. The other two dogs involved in the attack, along with two pit bull puppies found inside the house, were impounded at the Aurora Animal Shelter.

The attack came less than two weeks after city council banned new pit bulls.

“I wish we would have passed the (ban) sooner,” said Councilman Robert FitzGerald, who sponsored the ordinance.

FitzGerald said the attack refutes arguments that irresponsible owners are behind pit bull attacks because at least one of the dogs was licensed. “It is a reflection on the breed itself,” he said.

Pit bull owners have threatened legal action against the city and plan to circulate a petition to force the city to revisit the ban.

Florence Vianzon, an Aurora pit bull owner, said despite the recent attack, pit bull enthusiasts will try to collect the necessary 4,483 valid signatures by Nov. 28 to force the ban back to city council.

City council must then amend the law to reflect the petitioners’ wishes or hold a special election to allow residents to vote on the matter, said City Clerk Debbie Johnson.

Vianzon said opponents of the ban plan to file the petition with the city Nov. 4 and begin collecting signatures.

“A lot of recent attacks hurt us, but I just think it’s poor ownership,” Vianzon said.

State Rep. Debbie Stafford, R-Aurora, said the circumstances around the attack point to irresponsible ownership.

“They had a female in heat, a male un-neutered and puppies inside,” Stafford said. “It’s backyard breeding.”

There were 315 pit bulls licensed in Aurora on Oct. 10, said Cheryl Conway, spokeswoman for animal care.

Aurora recently banned new pit bulls and other “fighting dogs.” The ban also requires the owners of such dogs already living in the city to pay a $200 annual license fee, provide proof the dogs are spayed or neutered, post warning signs on their front doors and keep the dogs muzzled in public.

—The Associated Press and 7News contributed to this story.