View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I have 3 cats and one dog. My oldest cat at 13 wants nothing to do with the dog since day one and will let the dog know exactly that. My youngest cat at 8 months is just starting to get comfy with the dog. My middle cat at 2 years sounds like your cat does, he hasnt' cared since day one what the dog does to him. The dog walks around with the cats head in her mouth while he walks beside her, they play fight, paw each other, the cat bites ears and feet and the dog gets all excited. They hide,they chase (but not chase in prey mode) but the moment anything gets too rough, or someone gets tired or grumpy......one HEY and the dog knows play time with kitty is over.

My dog is now going on 7. But when she was a pup I had rules. NEVER chase the cats. NO means NO. Come means come. For the first few months, the cats had the whole second floor of the house as their own space, even now the dog knows those rooms are off limits UNLESS it is bed time or invited. If your cats have a room to themselves, teach puppy that that room is OFF LIMITS.

if you pup is only 4 months old and your trainer is running out of ideas on how to get the dog's attention when he is super focused on something, I personally would look for another trainer. That is just my opinion.
3+ cats......Surround sound