Thread: Dog is sick
View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Dog is sick

My parents have a dog which we have had ever since I was growing up, and I'm fond of it.
She is about 11 or 12 years old in human years, which comes out to what.. 66-72 yrs old?
The last few years she hasn't gotten any exercise.
Just basically laid in one spot all day long as far I've been told by them.

But lately, as of the last month or so, she has been breathing very fast even when laying down, her nerves seem to be on edge, asin she jumps whenever someone makes a noise, she is very shaky, has been sort of limping when she walks and acts like it takes her a lot of effort to move around, and also she has lost a lot of weight.
They also said that they saw her laying on the ground on her side, shaking violently, with the tongue hanging out, I believe before this all started.
They seem to think it was a heart attack and she is over it and will be okay now, but it sounds like a seizure to me, maybe did some damage to a part of the body.
But other than that I am clueless as to what to do for her other than taking her to a vet, which they currently won't do.

I've begged with my parents to take her to the vet, but they have this twisted notion that all doctors 'don't know anything' as quoted by them and 'will just rip us off'.
Instead, they seem to think they know better and are trying to feed the dog HUMAN antibiotics thinking it has Lyme Disease or something, and Ibuprofen the pain killer.
They have no experience in medicating dogs, they don't even know what those medications really do.
I disagree 100% with them doing that, but they won't listen to me.
I don't know of course, but surely these medicines do not work the same in a dog's body as they do a humans and I fear our dog may have a curable problem and that them feeding it these random medications may actually be the cause of her dying if it does happen.

I want them to take her to the vet and get a real diagnosis of her problem, which may even be curable if they do it soon enough.

What i'm asking of here is that if anyone is knowledgable here about diseases or conditions that dogs sometimes get that fit these symptom descriptions, ANY at all, if they could post on here and tell me what the illness is called, whether or not you are sure about it... just to give me some idea about this.
I know the symptoms are vague, but it is all I can really say as of now.
I'm hoping that I can go over and let my parents read these replies, if someone has even the slightest idea of what it could be, and maybe then if they realise it is a common ailment, if it is, that they will be willing to take her to the vet and get her treated properly along with my persuasion.

I don't want to see our family dog die just because of my parents' stubborness.

Thanks