View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
Wow - I didn't know Pet Valu carries Nature's Variety here in Winnipeg? One place you may want to look for a raw diet is "It's Raining Cat's and Dogs" on Academy. They have many different raw food diets at there store. And made in Manitoba as well. But most are geared towards dogs. If you see a certain diet you like and hear good reviews about them from people the owner may get the product in for you.
Hi, Khari. Thank you for the information. I believe I checked with "Raining Cat's and Dogs" when I was looking before, but I will check again. Sorry, I called Pet Valu this morning and realized I was mistaken that the other raw was Nature's Variety. It was some time ago when I purchased the Urban Carnivore, and the other brand they carried at the time was apparently Pets for Life, not Nature's Variety. I was using my "obviously failing memory." Apparently now Urban Carnivore is the only raw food they carry. I haven't purchased any more raw since then because I didn't know how long I would have Punky. I didn't want to get him used to raw, only for him to have to adjust back to something else (likely kibble) if his old owners took him back. It now appears unlikely that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
I used the Urban Carnivore to tranition my cats to a raw food diet. I think it is very good for this purpose. It was good at the time but I did become concerned with the bone to meat ratio. Once I started to feed my cats fresh meat they turned their noses up to the Urban Carnivore because it wasn't as fresh. I have heard of many people feeding the NV raw diet with good results as well. But many cats seem to become constipated on this diet it seems.

I never had problems with big bone pieces in the Urban Carnivore. But I like to break up my cats food before I feed it to them anyways - even canned food...lol! I like to make sure there is nothing in the food that my cat should'nt be eaing.
I'm glad you didn't find the size of the bone pieces to be a problem. I, too, picked out anything that I thought too large or sharp and will continue to do so. Unless I find something at Raining Cats and Dogs that I want to try, I think I will stick with Urban Carnivore for now and add a little raw muscle meat to increase the meat to bone ratio. Which varieties did you use for your cats? I only tried the chicken so far.

I may venture into making my own raw in the future and will then need more information and advice. By the way, transitioning Punky will not be an issue at all. I already know he prefers it to canned.

I have another question for you since you also live in Winnipeg. I have yet to find a vet here who agrees with a raw diet for cats. Have you come across any? If you have you can post here or PM me.

Thanks

Colleen
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009